Brand NamesAcetic Acid
What is Acetic Acid
Acetic Acid Solution is an antibacterial solution that effective for preventing bladder infections from indwelling urinary catheters. It works by lowering the pH in the bladder which prevents certain bacteria from growing.
Side effects of Acetic Acid
If you have noticed the following SEVERE side effects, you should contact your doctor as soon as possible:
- severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue);
- blood in the urine;
- groin or bladder pain;
Acetic Acid is used to prevent bladder infections from indwelling urinary catheters.
It is not recommended to use acetic acid if you:
- are allergic to any ingredient in Acetic Acid Solution
- are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or are breastfeeding
- are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation or dietary supplement
- have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- have severe heart, lung, or kidney disease
- have lesions in the bladder
Bacteriuria and Bacteremia Associated with Indwelling Catheters. Bladder Irrigation
Continuous or intermittent irrigation: Approximately 500–1500 mL of 0.25% acetic acid solution every 24 hours.
Maintaining Patency of Indwelling Catheters. Bladder Irrigation
Periodic irrigation: Approximately 50 mL of 0.25% acetic acid solution per irrigation.