Brand NamesActoplus Met, Actoplus Met XR
What is Actoplus Met
Actoplus Met is a prescription medication that contains a combination of two different diabetes medications: pioglitazone hydrochloride (Actos) and metformin hydrochloride (Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, or Riomet). Actoplus Met is intended to treat type 2 diabetes (also known as non-insulin-dependent diabetes or adult-onset diabetes).
Side effects of Actoplus Met
There is a list of serious side effects caused by this medication:
- hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat;
- stomach pain, blood in your urine, painful urination;
- feeling short of breath, especially when lying down;
- swelling or rapid weight gain;
- pale skin, feeling light-headed, rapid heart rate, trouble concentrating;
- sudden unusual pain in your hand, arm, or foot;
- nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious Actoplus Met side effects can be:
- diarrhea, upset stomach;
- sneezing, runny nose, cough or other signs of a cold.
Actoplus Met is effective for people with type 2 diabetes who do not use daily insulin injections. You have to know that this medication is not for treating type 1 diabetes.
Please, do not take Actoplus Met if you have:
- Heart problems of any kind, especially congestive heart failure (CHF)
- Had a heart attack or stroke
- Liver problems, including liver failure or cirrhosis
- Low vitamin B12 levels (pernicious anemia)
- Kidney problems, including kidney failure (renal failure)
- An upcoming surgery or procedure (including x-rays and other radiology procedures)
- Any allergies, including allergies to food, dyes, or preservatives
- Are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding
- Are having problems getting pregnant
- Are premenopausal without regular menstrual periods
- Drink alcohol
- Are taking any other medicines you are taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements
Actoplus Met Dosage for People Switching From Metformin
If you are switching to Actoplus Met from metformin (Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Glumetza, or Riomet), the recommended starting dose is Actoplus Met 15 mg/500 mg or Actoplus Met 15 mg/850 mg, taken either once or twice a day, depending on how much metformin you were previously taking. If necessary, your doctor may slowly increase your Actoplus Met dose up to 45 mg/2550 mg total per day.
Actoplus Met Dosage for People Switching From Actos
If you are switching to Actoplus Met from pioglitazone (Actos), the recommended starting dose is Actoplus Met 15 mg/500 mg twice a day or Actoplus Met 15 mg/850 mg once a day.
If necessary, your doctor may gradually increase your dose up to Actoplus Met 45 mg/2550 mg total per day. Slowly increasing the dose can help to prevent stomach upset from the metformin component of Actoplus Met.