Brand NamesCortef, Hydrocortone
What is Cortef
Cortef is a medicine that is used to treat many different conditions such as allergic disorders, skin conditions, ulcerative colitis, arthritis, lupus, psoriasis or breathing disorders. It refers to a class of drugs called steroids. Cortef prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation.
Side effects of Cortef
Side effects of Cortef are the followings:
- upset stomach;
- stomach irritation;
- increased hair growth;
- easy bruising;
- irregular or absent menstrual periods.
But if you have any of these serious symptoms it is necessary to visit your doctor immediately:
- skin rash;
- swollen face, lower legs or ankles;
- vision problems;
- cold or infection that lasts a long time;
- muscle weakness;
- black or tarry stool.
Cortef is used to treat many different conditions such as allergic disorders, skin conditions, ulcerative colitis, arthritis, lupus, psoriasis or breathing disorders.
Before using Cortef you should inform your doctor if you have:
- liver disease (such as cirrhosis);
- kidney disease;
- a thyroid disorder;
- a history of malaria;
- a muscle disorder such as myasthenia gravis;
- glaucoma or cataracts;
- herpes infection of the eyes;
- stomach ulcers, ulcerative colitis or diverticulitis;
- depression or mental illness;
- congestive heart failure;
- high blood pressure.
The starting dose is 25-30 mg/day orally divided twice a day. The dosage may be escalated to 20-240 mg/day orally divided twice a day.