What is Nexium
Nexium (esomeprazole magnesium) is a medicne that effective for treating many conditions affecting the esophagus, stomach and intestines. It is also known as "the purple pill"due to the color of its capsule with 2 or 3 gold rings depending on the strength. Nexium is made by AstraZeneca.
Side effects of Nexium
The most common side effects of Nexium are:
- Abdominal pain
- Dry mouth
Nexium is commonly used to treat or prevent the following conditions:
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Erosive esophagitis
- Stomach ulcers in people taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen
- Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infections
- Pathological hypersecretory conditions in which stomach acid is greatly overproduced such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome
You have to inform your doctor if you have:
- liver disease or liver failure
- low blood magnesium (hypomagnesemia)
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
- any allergies
- are taking any other medicines, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins and herbal supplements
Nexium dose for GERD and Erosive Esophagitis
The recommended Nexium dosage is 20 mg once a day for 4-8 weeks. If your GERD is severe enough to cause esophageal erosions (known as erosive esophagitis), the recommended dose is Nexium 20-40 mg once daily for four to eight weeks, followed by 20 mg once daily to prevent the return of erosive esophagitis after healing has occurred.
For GERD in children ages 12-17, the recommended Nexium dosage is 20-40 mg once a day for up to 8 weeks.
For GERD in children age 1-11 years old, the recommended dose is 10 mg once daily for up to 8 weeks. For erosive esophagitis in children of this age, the dose is the same (10 mg once daily) unless the child weighs 44 pounds or more in which case the dose is Nexium 20 mg daily.
Nexium dose to prevent Stomach Ulcers
The recommended starting dose of Nexium is Nexium 20 mg or Nexium 40 mg once a day for up to 6 months.
Dose of Nexium for H. Pylori Treatment
Treatment to kill Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) involves using two other drugs in addition to Nexium. This therapy is called "triple therapy." Triple therapy to kill H. pyloriinvolves taking Nexium 40 mg once a day, plus amoxicillin 1000 mg (twice daily) and clarithromycin 500 mg (twice daily). All three medications are taken for 10 days.
Dose of Nexium for Pathological Hypersecretory Conditions
The recommended Nexium dosage is 40 mg twice daily.