What is Zovirax
Zovirax (acyclovir) is an antiviral medicine. It decreases pain and speed the healing of sores or blisters in people with chickenpox, herpes zoster (shingles or a rash that can occur in people who have had chickenpox in the past), first-time and repeat outbreaks of genital herpes. This medicine is sometimes used to prevent outbreaks of genital herpes in people infected with the virus. Zovirax belongs to a class of antiviral medications called synthetic nucleoside analogues. It stops the spread of the herpes virus in the body, but it does not cure genital herpes and cannot stop the spread of genital herpes to other people. It is made by GlaxoSmithKline.
Side effects of Zovirax
The most serious side effects of Zovirax are:
- urinating less than usual or not at all
- easy bruising or bleeding
- unusual weakness
- allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue or throat
Also during Zovirax treatment you may have such symptoms as:
- nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, stomach pain
- headache, feeling light-headed
- swelling in your hands or feet
- hair loss
- changes in vision
There are 3 forms of Zovirax: tablets, capsules and suspension. You may take it with or without food 2-5 times a day for 5-10 days.
Zovirax works by reducing pain and speeding the healing of sores or blisters in people who have chickenpox, shingles, a rash and outbreaks of genital herpes.
Zovirax belongs to a class of antiviral medications which called synthetic nucleoside analogues. It stops the spread of the herpes virus in the body.
First of all, before taking Zovirax you should inform your doctor if you have:
- allergic reaction to acyclovir, valacyclovir (Valtrex) or any other medications
- kidney disease, including kidney failure (renal failure)
- you are regnant or plan to be pregnant
- you are breastfeeding ( zoviraz may pass through the breast milk and harm a nursing baby)
You should avoid sexual contacts or use a condom in order not to infect the others.
You should be more careful if you drive, use machinery or do any activity that requires alertness, because Zovirax may cause dizziness or drowsiness.
Alcohol consumption isn't recommended while using this medication.
The dose of Zovirax depends on the following factors:
- Your age and weight
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have
Zovirax Dosage for Shingles is 800mg 5 times a day for 7-10 days.
Zovirax Dosage for Genital Herpes depends on if it is your first infection or not, or you use Zovirax in order to prevent outbreaks. If it is your First Infection your dose of Zovirax wil be 200 mg 5 times a day for 10 days. For prevention of outbreaks of genital herpes (after the first infection), your dose of Zovirax will be 200 mg 5 times a day for 5 days. You should start treatment as soon as possible.
Zovirax Dosage for Chickenpox in children of 2 age and over depends on their weight. If children weight more than 88 pounds the dose of zovirax will be 20mg per kg (about 9 mg per pound) 4 times per day for 5 days.
Zovirax Dosage for Adults is 800mg 4 times a day for 5 days.